Thursday, April 22, 2010

My path through Aikido

I heard about aikido for the first time 6 years ago, in 2004. I had been practicing karate for 5 years then and I still sought of it as a sport. Several times I said aikido wasn’t a sport (which is not), meaning it was unworthy. I still hadn’t realized that even if karate can and is practiced as a sport, in my dojo we practice the martial art.


Mi second contact with aikido was when Daniel Piccioa came back to Seishin Dojo (where I practice karate) and proposed Aliano Sensei to start aikido. At first I didn’t pay much attention to the matter. But Daniel insisted and insisted several times until, one day, he showed up with bokken and performed some suburi and kikaeshi. I was fascinated with the wooden sword. I had been interested in the katana for a while then and I wanted to learn how to use it.


I went to the aikido dojo accompanying my sensei, but with the single idea of cutting staff with a katana. Everyone taught me what they knew and incorporated me to the group. While I trained I learned little by little a few about aikido until the bukiwaza class came. I loved it. I felt super powerful with a bokken in my hands (that reminds the same). I kept going to the dojo every class adapting myself progressively to the discipline with the help of my sempais. I understood that weapons aren’t aikido, but that aikido involves weapons. With time I could return the help I received from my sempais helping the many kouhais that came after me. When teaching I could see my limitations better as well as how much I had learned. Then, I realized that learning and teaching are two things that happen at the same time. Whenever it is that I’m asking something to a sempai or explaining something to a kouhai, I’m always learning and teaching.


I’ve been in Picciola Sensei’s dojo for three years now and I’ve been through many experiences, some of them nice, some of them not so much; but at the end of the day, even if we loose some things, the important ones always remain the same: partners willing to practice and a reliable sensei.


I’d like to end this text with a last comment. Even if it always seems to me that day by day I know less is because, actually, I know more. What I mean is that every step I get closer to knowing the vast totality that aikido involves in every aspect, I realize that I know less every time in percentage, but every time more in contrast with what I knew before.


Today I keep training to become an aikidoka and I know those who are around me seek the same goal. That makes me feel comfortable in the dojo; mo mentioning the friendships I grew in these three years.

Arigatou Gosaimasu Unión La Plata dojo.


Nahuel Lombardi (22)

25/01/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment